suz in rome



04 agosto 2006

110 san pietro in vincoli

After Domus Aurea turned out to be a wash, I headed to another nearby site: San Pietro in Vincoli, a.k.a. St. Peter in Chains. This small church is named for the relics displayed in the main altar: St. Peter's chains from Rome and from Jerusalem, which have miraculously fused together.


The other notable item in the church is a Michelangelo statue of Moses. Although I'm a big fan of the Pieta, I didn't really like this Moses. The proportions seemed off adn I didn't really like the composition. Granted - I read in my tourist book that the composition intended by Michelangelo is not the way the statue is currently displayed. So maybe that's it.

As in many of the other churches that display famous works of art, the light in that chapel can only be activated by putting 50 eurocents in the box. The light lasts a couple of minutes, and then someone else has to add change.

There were some more obnoxious American tourists on-site. As you now, appropriate dress is required to enter churches in Rome. This usually means sleeves and shirts/pants that at least cover your knees. I carry a little wrap to put on when I go inside, although I do find the tradition stifling in the August heat. Sometimes the churches are monitored, but in general, they are not.

Two American teenagers, both girls, tried to go in to the church without sleeves. They did not see the resident monk on the other side of the church who rushed up to them and gave them these paper dresses to put on over their clothes, similar to a paper gown at the doctor's office, speaking in Italian the entire time. The girls were mortified by this turn of events, and retreated behind one of the columns: hunched over and trying unsuccessfully to hold back their laughter. It was pretty funny for me too.