suz in rome



07 giugno 2006

005 viaggio nell'autobus

Today I took my first trip on a public bus in Rome. The system here is quite different than in the US. First of all, you don't buy a ticket on the bus, and you don't enter via the front doors. I bought a monthly pass for all metropolitana, trams, & buses for 30 euro, but I just keep this tucked in my wallet in the event that an officer wants to check to see that I have paid for my trip. So far I haven't noticed anyone checking for tickets.

The same thing goes for the metro trains - there are ticket machines and places to go through the turnstile, but right next to the turnstiles is an opening and everyone just walks through without paying. Of course, I have no idea how many people have actually paid for their ticket and how many are riding for free, but everyone around here says that the system loses a lot of money.

Anyway, my bus route is #23 (my lucky number), and it couldn't be more convenient. The #23 bus starts in Piazzale Clodio, which is right by my apartment, and goes almost directly to my work, turns around, and goes back to Piazzale Clodio. It's a better way to see the city sights because when you are a pedestrian you are constantly fearful for your life because of the millions of motorcycles.

Last night I walked through the Circo Massimo on the way home. There are no more chariot races here, just joggers and dog walkers with a good mix of tourists. It was still a pleasant place to walk on my way to the metropolitana.

Today at work I am researching in the ICCROM library. It's available over the web and is a great resource. The funny thing about working here is that you never know what language (French, Italian, or English) you are going to get when you meet someone new. The library catalogue is also organized in French.

Today Auburn plays Dayton in CAN softball, good luck Tigers!