suz in rome



14 luglio 2006

070 pantheon



M AGRIPPA LF COS TERTIUM FECIT means, "Agrippa made this". This is not exactly true, since the Pantheon has had significant changes over its 1800 year history. For example, did you know that it was not originally constructed with an oculus or a dome? Agrippa designed a wood roof with the main beams radiating out from the center.

Anyway, the Pantheon is one of the very best sites in Rome and all over the world. I stop by this Piazza and stroll through the interior about once a week. There are always a lot of people, but it's worth it to be in the cool interior space which is fairly dark, except for the radiant light coming through the oculus. Raffaele is buried here, and I think Vittorio Emanuele is, but I'm not sure. Mostly, I just sit (there are actually benches) and appreciate the space. I keep planning to get up early over the weekends and visit the Pantheon before the crowds hit, but getting up early has never been my strongpoint.

Just like every other pagan structure in Rome, the Catholic church has claimed the Pantheon as "All Saints Church" or something like that. When I was there earlier this week, there was a wedding going on inside, but tourists were still permitted to enter the space. Let's just say that that couple will have strangers showing their wedding pictures all over the globe.

I'm getting way behind on relating stories and images - I have stories waiting to go for the Crypt of the Cappuchin Monks and the interior of the Colosseum, and will hope to get to those next week.

2 Comments:

At 12:30 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonimo said...

" --- but getting up early has never been my strongpoint.--" An understatment if there ever was one. Second only to, "Gee Mr. Custer, they sure look like friendly indians to me."

Lots of Love, DadMan

 
At 12:31 PM GMT+1, Blogger smr said...

eyeroll.

I think it's genetic, re: Jim.

 

Posta un commento

<< Home