suz in rome



08 giugno 2006

006 sempre sono stanca

I have never been too affected by jet lag before, but I go to bed around 10 pm each night and then wake back up at 2 am. I mean wide awake. I'm usually up for about an hour, either tossing or turning, or giving up and reading for a bit until I can get back to sleep. Then in the morning I feel exhausted and no number of espressi (coffee) help me wake up. Advice, anyone?

I had a little linguistic victory last night. I have been a little stumped about the past progressive in Italian. In English, it's "I have seen, you have seen, he has seen, etc.". In Spanish, it's "he visto, has visto, ha visto, etc.". In Italian, however, there are 2 helping verbs: essere (to be) and avere (to have). I wasn't sure why sometimes one verb was used and other times the other was used. So, I was flipping through my conjugation book, and I started to realize that I could predict which verb was used, although I couldn't necessarily explain it. When I saw the verb "ardere (to burn)", I guessed that either could be used - essere if I am the one that is burnt and avere if I burnt the toast. And I was right! Turns out that the technical explanation is whether or not there is an implied direct object.

I know, boring for you but exciting for me. Thanks for reading anyway. And, thanks for leaving comments on the blog. I appreciate it! :)

Softball update: Auburn defeated Dayton 27-7. There are only 5 games left in the regular season!

3 Comments:

At 2:17 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonimo said...

I guess it makes me boring that I find your linguistic victory exciting, but I truly do.

 
At 3:59 PM GMT+1, Blogger Елизавета said...

French also has two helping verbs: avoir and etre. There are specific guidelines about which helping verb goes with which main verb, but I can no longer remember what the rules are. Something about action verbs or transitive verbs....

(pumpkin quiche??)

-ep

 
At 4:47 PM GMT+1, Blogger Елизавета said...

OK, after thinking about French conjugations, I believe that I do remember some of the specific guidelines for helping verbs. Maybe they are the same for Italian?? I will let you be the judge:
1. Transitive verbs = avoir.
2. Reflexive verbs = etre.
3. Verbs of motion = etre (to go, to arrive).

In high school French, we had to memorize a list of verbs that were conjugated with ETRE because under normal circumstances, AVOIR was the default helping verb.

 

Posta un commento

<< Home