suz in rome



15 giugno 2006

017 biblioteca // stereotipi

So I talked to my boss today and he wants me to start putting together a database of conservation resources applicable to structural engineering. Sound familiar? I'm starting to wonder if "Library Lady" is tattooed across my forehead or something.

A few humorous Italian stereotypes brought to life:

1. A woman who is simultaneously:
- driving a motorcycle
- talking on her cell phone (hands-free device)
- driving with her right hand while gesticulating emphatically with her left hand

2. I was walking through the ICCROM lobby with Maria the librarian. As we parted ways, we both said 'ciao'. Then she saw someone else she knew, so they both said 'ciao'. Add a few more people in the room, and I heard 'ciao' and nothing else about 12 times in a row. Very funny, reminds me of the Rome office of Wolfram & Hart.

Laura wants me write more about what I am eating. Last night I had pasta, of course. Delfina made a sauce that sounds questionable but was actually quite good - a marinara sauce with canned tuna. Sauteed eggplant on the side, which I ate on crusty bread.

Lunch is generally a panino (sandwich, singular). This is pretty much the only inexpensive option; it runs about 3 euros or so. There are endless varieties: there are not only dozens of cafes selling panini (sandwich, plural) in the area, each cafe has dozens of varieties of panini. I usually ask for a vegetarian sandwich, containing things like arugula, tomato, various cheeses, olive oil (on EVERYTHING), olives, mushroom, eggplant, zucchini, etc. When I'm feeling decadent, I get a coffee (usually 0.70 euro) or a gelato (1-5 euros, depending on where you get it from).

And when I really want to treat myself, I go to L'Insalata Ricca where the salads are fabulous. They only cost about 7 euro, but it's more of an investment of time b/c when you sit down at a cafe in Italy, you're talking about at least an hour, minimum. Everyone sits outside, has a leisurely slow lunch, always with wine (or sometimes beer), salads, breads, coffee, fruit.

2 Comments:

At 2:28 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonimo said...

Mmmm foods

Don't go trying that tuna fish marinara on me when you get back...

Ciao!

 
At 4:12 PM GMT+1, Blogger smr said...

re: W&H DC, I would do that for the ritual sacrifice alone, (Press 1 for Goats!)

 

Posta un commento

<< Home