suz in rome



09 giugno 2006

009 oggi è shabat

Sabbath (Shabat) begins tonight. Delfi has cooked a big meal of stuffed tomatoes, salmon, eggplant, zucchini, and all kinds of other dishes. I told her this morning that I would be out on the town tonight and not available for dinner. I thought it would be easier to stay out of her way, since there's no electricity allowed tonight. This was before I realized that there was going to be excellent food. So next Shabat I will stay home, and Lucia has assured me that there will be ample leftovers for tomorrow.

Good news - I had a late night espresso last night, which enabled me to stay up a little later, then sleep through the night, and wake up refreshed. Yay! Hopefully this means my jetlag is over.

So tonight, I think I will go to the Centro, hang out at the Campidoglio (Capitoline Hill), check out the view of the Roman forum under spotlights, have some dinner, do some sketching, and have a gelato. Buses and trains run until midnight, so that's when I'll need to be heading back to the apartment.

Saturday I plan on visiting Castel Sant'Angelo. More details on Sant'Angelo later, it's a really fascinating site. And for Sunday, I haven't decided yet... maybe the Shrine of the Cappuccini or Villa Giulia (villa = park).