suz in rome



09 agosto 2006

119 tedesci in tutti luoghi


Well, I think I missed my chance to see the Pope in action. I heard a choir singing close to the Vatican, so I decided to stop by and see what was going on. There was no Pope - just a piazza filled with Germans with rainbow flags (which stand for peace, not gay pride).

Later that night on the news, I saw that the Pope did indeed address the Germans - I must have just missed it.

Speaking of the Germans, they have taken over Rome. It's August now, so the Italians have left the heat of the city and are all at the beach or in the mountains. Apparently this week is some type of German Catholic youth week or something, so German teenagers are out en masse with their rainbow bandanas. And they are loud and they are obnoxious, with a peculiar affinity for chanting and clapping in loud groups.