suz in rome



19 giugno 2006

022 villa borghese


On Saturday I spent most of the day at Villa Borghese, a park on the north side of Rome. I didn't go in any of the 4 museums (Museo Borghese, Museo Etrusco, Arte Moderno, Pietro Canonica) and instead walked around, enjoying the fresh air, people watching, and doing a little sketching.

I was getting really dehydrated and thirsty while finishing this sketch, and when I asked the man in the tourist information office where was the closest place for water, he looked at me a little funny and then said, I'll go get you a glass. He brings a glass back to me and opens the back door of the building, into what is literally called the Secret Gardens (Giardini Segreti). It's a beautiful formal/classical flower garden in a courtyard with Renaissance architecture. I get water from the running fountain in the wall, enjoy the view, and leave, thanking the man. He says, no problem, and starts complimenting me on this sketch (he had apparently snuck up behind me while I was sketching and looked over my shoulder).

So, we chat a little bit about the park, and some American tourists come up with their maps and ask to be let into the Secret Garden. He tells them in English, "sorry, no one is allowed to see it, no exceptions, blah blah blah".

So once again, my sketchbook gets me into places that aren't normally accessible.

4 Comments:

At 2:42 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonimo said...

Magical sketchbook, eh?

It appears that that no Italian man can resist flirting with my wife.

"Beautiful woman, let us away to my villa on Fantastic Mountain..."

 
At 2:53 PM GMT+1, Blogger smr said...

(eyeroll)

 
At 3:16 PM GMT+1, Blogger Елизавета said...

To me this story clearly indicates that Italians (like the French) have no true rules. They all just do whatever they want and use "the rules" to impose their personal inclinations and to suit their disposition. This is not meant as an insult or a slight against the Italians… I think that it is a very effective system for their homeland security.

 
At 9:53 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonimo said...

Questo commento è stato eliminato da un amministratore del blog.

 

Posta un commento

<< Home